Unactivated License File.
I ran into a bit of a problem this morning when I needed to do a “yum update” on the kernel. After completing the yum update successfully I tried to login to my WHM – but no joy!
I got this screen…
The strange thing was that everything still worked after completing the update and gracefully rebooting the server i.e emails & website but it was just WHM not giving me access. I also tested the servers IP @ http://verify.cpanel.net which told me that the license was perfectly in working order and active.
I was quite worried as I did not want to do a Hard reboot as I was not sure what the outcome would be. I contacted my ISP asked then to have a check. The Support tech suggested that we reboot the server and then see what it happens. After a stressful couple of minutes, the server was up and running – but still the same error message.
With some investigation the problem was found. Basically what happened was that the cPanel License file was not rebuild after the “yum update”. Not sure why cause it never happened before…
This is what you should do when you get the dreaded error screen:
1. First, go to License Verification – cPanel Inc. and enter the public IP address of this server to make sure it is licensed.
2. If licensed, run /usr/local/cpanel/cpkeyclt from the command line as root.
3. You’ll also need to make sure that port 80 is open to contact our license server and that your server’s hostname is a FQDN.
You should be getting this message if it was successful:
“Updating cPanel license…Done. Update succeeded.
Building global cache for cpanel…Done”
Test your WHM to see if you can get access – if not I suggest you contact your ISP.